The 50plus

A guide to replacing a cookers and hobs

0845 22 50 495 or one of our local numbers or book online here.

What are we talking about?

The rules around replacing cookers and hobs

Typical time

From 1 hour

Translate time to cost for your postcode by clicking on: Practical services and charges


Read below

Questions to ask

Gas or electric, existing configuration (see below), specification of the new appliance.


Many customers buy installation with a replacement appliance only to find the supplier finds a reason not to install it and need 50plus to resolve the problem. Here are the basic rules.

Gas appliances should be installed by a Gas Safe registered person as they are trained and have the equipment to undertake the necessary tests required in law. 

Gas appliances require a 13A power socket nearby, usually within 1.5m, to plug into to provide ignition. There must be no sockets or switches on the wall above the appliance and the wall should not be papered. The appliance installation manual will also specify the minimum clearance above (for a cooker hood) and to each side of the appliance, often known as a ‘hot zone’ where there must not be anything flammable or switches/sockets.

Gas appliances need an adequate gas supply that must provide enough pressure to the appliance and any others installed on the premises. If you have had a combi boiler installed since you last changed the hob this can means a 22mm supply pipe is required in the premises. Look for a regular water pipe to a basin tap, that’s typically 15mm; check the gas pipe is larger than this and if not ask a gas person to check the installation.

Electric hobs and all electric cookers take a lot of current and as such must be hard wired to a cooker circuit which needs it’s own supply from the consumer unit or fuse box. Hobs can share a cooker circuit with a regular electric oven. A cooker isolation switch and a wall outlet plate are required.

Single electric ovens can be plugged into a 13amp socket but may also be hard wired. If the appliance comes with a 13amp plug many installers will require a 13A socket to plug it into, even if the previous oven was hard wired. Double ovens need to be hard wired.

Dual fuel cookers (gas hob, electric oven) usually require a 13A socket to provide power for the oven and power for the hob ignition.

What is not acceptable:

  • Hard-wired cables coming straight out of the wall plaster; a wall outlet plate is required
  • A cooker switch and/or socket on the wall above the cooker or hob, it will need to be moved (applies to gas and electric installations).
  • Gas installations without adequate ventilation.

Finally if a hob is being installed remember to check the cut out in the worktop. The required size is specified in the appliance specification or manual. Most require a standard cut out for the hob size but some older appliances can vary. There are ‘work arounds’ for cut outs that are too large but the work needs thinking through before an appliance is purchased.

If in doubt do ask 50plus, our experts can advise.

Questions? Please contact us.